Ready! Steady! Cook! Round 14. Inspired by Hungarian Flavours

Posted by on 4/06/2008


Well, this is gonna be my very first post in English, but hopefully not the last one. My friends all over the world keep bugging me about posting in English as well so that they can also read my scribbles not only look at the photos. Time is my only concern though, since nowadays I am quite busy and my days are usually hectic, but hey, where there's a will, there's a way... so I'll try to satisfy my readers and start posting in English as well.

Ready! Steady! Cook! is the one and only Hungarian food blog event so far, started by Chili&Vanilia 14 months ago. Every month has a theme, and food blog enthusiasts across the country submit recipes with photos related to it. These themes are quite loose so the different recipes can cater for different tastes unlike the daring bakers for example where everyone has to prepare the same dish.

This month's topic was Hungarian cuisine, mainly to try to contradict the well established image of it being greasy and full of paprika. My biggest problem is that I quite rarely cook traditional Hungarian dishes. Not that I don't like them, that's just the way it is. This one that I am about to post is not a real national thing either, although it might as well be. I couldn't help but overhear a little chinwag between two butchers in the market who claimed that the majority of foie gras produced in Hungary is exported to France. Surprise, surprise... :)

I am not going to give exact amounts as it largely depends on the size of the foie gras you can get hold of, or you are willing to pay for:)

Ingredients

Foie Gras

Bacon. thinly sliced

Prunes

Dry white wine (I used Tokaj wine just for the sake of authenticity, but of course any other kind would just as well be okay)

thyme or balsamic vinegar to taste

1. Preheat the oven to 200 C / 400 F. Clean the Foie Gras of any skin or parts that are not desired, wash it, and dry it well with a paper napkin. Carefully make a hole in it with a long wooden stick and then enlarge the hole with your finger. (If you think this is gross, try using the handle of a wooden spatula or spoon.)

2 Once the hole is big enough start stuffing it with the prunes, one at a time until no more can be squeezed in. Afterwards, start covering the liver with slices of bacon in such a way that they partly overlap. When the whole liver is covered, carefully fold the excess bacon under it and place it in a pan.

3. Pour some white wine in the pan so that it covers the liver up to its first quarter. Cover the pan with tin foil and put it in the oven for 25-30 minutes. For the last 10 minutes remove the foil so that the bacon can roast nicely.

4. Once it is cool, slice it thinly and serve it with toast. You may want to add some thyme or balsamic vinegar to it to further enhance the taste.

Related Posts with Thumbnails

web track

search / keresés